Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sales pitch

Being in-between jobs ain't much fun. Especially when you've worked the last 12 years with no break in between.

With analyst/developer jobs rare n far in-between, I was desperate enough to answer a call for a sales position with aflac. My chat with the regional mgr for CT was scheduled for this am.

8 am: Getting dressed...
black n white blouse, black skirt, black blazer, black knee hi-boots.
*my eyes wandered to my jeans n t's... my regular developer / desk job garb*

hm... i've lost wt... my clothes don't fit as well as they used to a year (maybe more) back. has it been that long??? since i wore formals...!

I'm excited and therez spring n confidence in my step.
I walk in and am greeted by this guy... with fake stamped ALL over his smile.
Small talk done... the big talk begins.

He takes the predictable route around the barnyard... how he was makin a 100k at 20 yrs...selling ad space for the yellow pages.. and how his pal at aflac was making 50k. n how over the next 3 years his pal went on to making half a mil while he was still stuck at 100k. he talks of taking vacations at exotic locales at fine hotels... n the whole 9 yards.
* i hate it...when money is talked of first*

he stops long enough to ask me... if making calls and fixing appointments was sth i could see myself doing?
I think of how I have gone half insane staying home the last coupla months, n i hear myself say 'i can...'
more talk... more selling... some big numbers thrown in...more fake smiles... coupla ?s from me... and its done.

What next? I say I will think about it and email you. I walk away.

in the half hour drive back home... i realize...
making a sales pitch ... ain't my thing. :(

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmm,Interesting. Better luck next time :):)Hope you get what u desire :):)

    Chitchat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! I am sure you will get an analyst job.

    Btw have you considered going back to school? Incase you have anything left to study

    ReplyDelete
  3. atleast you can choose slowly.first company came to college.had to sit coz of rules.told the company guys i dont want job and still got it.cant sit for another.take your time ,hurry up and choose.free

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Soin... seen u on dr K's blog. tnx for stopin by.

    ya.. in no hurries to land a job.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?