Thursday, July 8, 2010

my birth story

had a birthday recently and when on the phone getting my mama's wishes n blessings...
she went down memory lane... n told me with immense fondness... my birth story

Prologue
I am the last of 3 kids... all girls... and pretty much was not planned... at all!
and therez a 7 yr n 5 yr gap between me n my first and second sis

-----------------------------------------------
June 13...

4 am...
Mom's labor pains started at 4 am ish... and she was bearing it silently to keep from waking her mom and younger brother.

5 am...
Mom had to use the bathroom and woke grandma up.

6 am..
The kid brother was shaken awake to go fetch a cab.
Mom's house in Ooty is atop a steep hill with a winding road. apparently the cab couldn't make it up top... not even on 1st gear.
So she walked down... *GOSH! gasp!! what grit!!!*
my Dad of course is nowhere on the scene!

7 am...
whilst Mom was checking into the quaint european hospital in the sleepy town of Ooty, the front desk staff asking her numerous questions...
my uncle was getting impatient to see his sis in pain and swearing choicest expletives in marathi at the nurses for not admitting Mom in pronto.

7:05 am...
*this is my favorite part...makes me feel so special and all*
i arrive... to the sound of temple bells ringing from the mandir across the street

Mom makes it sound so romantic n beautiful... by saying... had she been delayed a few minutes I woulda been born in the back seat of a rusty old cab :)

*Mom has no clue.. how much it sucked... to hear the next part, as a child...
she HAS to say this and break my 'bask in how awesome am i' bubble...*

the doc said its yet another.... girl
and the whole Bagre family vacationing at the family house that summer, stood around her n the baby and cried...
my mom... grand mom... grand uncles....grand aunts....cousins

n my Dad ... didn't come to Ooty to bring Mom n baby back home...
'coz of the disappointment

-----------------------------------------------
Epilogue

i've heard this birth story many a time...
not just from Mom.. but from various relatives present that day and a sprinkling of cousins who put a mean twist to it.

and i think it got into me ... from very young...
to rebel.. to defy custom / tradition / stoofid rules all my life.
to be the son my Mom SO wanted n make her proud.

devaa! is that mental scarring for LIFE or what?!
I need to head to therapy or something... NOW!

lol

2 comments:

  1. i'm the middle child of three girls too.. although my dad strictly instructed my mom he wanted only girls and no 'annoying boys' :-)

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?